This is the dev documentation for an unreleased version of MPF!
This is the documentation for MPF 0.54+, which is the “dev” (next) release of MPF that is a work-in-progress. Unless you’re specifically looking for this version, you probably want to use the version of documentation called “latest” which is for the latest released version of MPF. That documentation is at docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest.
Contributing to MPF’s Documentation¶
Want to help make these docs better! Great! We’d love any help, whether it’s as small as correcting a typo, adding to a section that isn’t clear, adding your own How To guide, or whatever else you want to change.
If you got any questions please ask in the MPF Users Google Group. We are happy to help you with any contribution.
To make a quick change to an existing page¶
Quick changes to existing pages can be done right on the web!
To do that:
- Browse to the page you want to update, and click the “Edit on GitHub” link in the upper right corner of the page.
- Click the pencil icon in the upper-right corner of the page’s text. (If this is grayed out, that means you need to create a GitHub account and/or login.) This will create a fork of mpf-docs in your GitHub account.
- Make your change, and click the “Propose file change”. This will create a pull request. Type a name describing your change, and click “Create pull request”.
- Details and screen shots of this entire process are here.
To make a suggestion for a new doc (or to point out an error)¶
Even if you don’t feel comfortable actually changing or editing docs, you can still tell us about an error in the documentation or suggest new documentation that we should add. To do this:
- Go to the “Issues” page of the mpf-docs repository on GitHub.
- Create a GitHub account if you don’t have one, and/or login.
- Click the “New Issue” button and describe what you’d like us to fix or add!
How does the layout work?¶
The documentation uses reStructuredText (rst). You can read about possible elements in the rst documentation.
Some excerpts from the documentation above:
A list of item:
* element 1 * element 2
- element 1
- element 2
.. code-block:: yaml element: subelement: value
element: subelement: value
To clone the mpf-docs repo locally to make bigger changes¶
If you want to make bigger changes to the docs, or if you want to download the mpf-docs repo so you can work on it offline, do the following:
- Clone the mpf-docs repo from GitHub.
- Switch to the branch corresponding to the version of the docs you want to work with (usually dev or latest).
- Makes your changes.
- Add your name to the
- To test the docs locally, you’ll need sphinx and sphinx_bootstrap_theme, both of which you can install via pip.
make htmlto ensure everything builds properly without any additional warnings from whatever docs you added or changed. (The built docs will be in the
_build/htmlfolder. You can open index.html in your local browser to preview your changes.)
- Submit your pull request