|Related Config File Sections|
MPF uses ball saves to automatically re-serve a ball that has drained. (Essentially this means the ball drain doesn’t count.)
Ball saves are typically used in several scenarios:
- Give the player their ball back if they drain right after their ball starts.
- Give the player their ball back if there’s a particularly wicked shot that tends to drain which the game designers feel bad about. (You should avoid this if possible, and instead, as Lyman Sheets would say, “Fix your f-ing game layout!”)
- Use to make a timed mode where the player has unlimited drains.
You can configure ball saves to have various start and stop events and timers, and you can configure multiple ones in different modes that do different things.
This is an example:
ball_saves: random_ball_save: active_time: 5s hurry_up_time: 2s grace_period: 2s enable_events: event_on_dangerous_action auto_launch: yes balls_to_save: 1
event_on_dangerous_action is posted the ball save will be active for
active_time + 2s
grace_period = 7s.
Hurry up will start after 5s
active_time - 2s
hurry_up_time = 3s.
- Boolean (true/false) which shows whether this ball hold is enabled.
- How many balls saves are remaining.
- String value of the state of this ball save. Values will be one of the following: enabled, disabled, hurry_up, or grace_period.
- Boolean (true/false) which shows whether the timer is started.