|Related Config File Sections|
MPF includes support for high scores which is where players can enter their names (or initials) when they’ve achieved a high score. Features include:
- Set any player variable as a high score option. So in addition to score you could set high score entries for loops, ramps, aliens destroyed, etc.
- Set how many of each high score type are tracked (Top 5 for high scores, Top 3 for loops, Top 1 for aliens, etc.)
- Set what each “award name” is called. (The highest score is “GRAND CHAMPION,” the second highest score is “HIGH SCORE 1”, the highest loop score is “MAJOR LOOPER”, etc.)
- How many characters a player can enter for their name.
- A list of valid characters the player can choose from
- The layout of the display for entering their names and show their rewards.
- Events for high score awards and entry, so you can configure high score entry screens.
Don’t have a display to enter initials? See High Scores in EM Machines for how to use the high score mode without entering initials.
This is an example (for machines with display):
# modes/high_score/config/high_score.yaml mode: priority: 500 start_events: game_ending, start_high_score use_wait_queue: true high_score: _overwrite: True enter_initials_timeout: 60 award_slide_display_time: 4s # define your high score categories and the awards categories: !!omap - score: - GRAND CHAMPION - HIGH SCORE 1 - HIGH SCORE 2 - HIGH SCORE 3 - HIGH SCORE 4 - HIGH SCORE 5 - HIGH SCORE 6 - HIGH SCORE 7 - HIGH SCORE 8 - loops: - LOOP CHAMP # set the defaults defaults: score: - MPF: 1000000 - BRI: 900000 - JAN: 800000 - QUI: 700000 - MAR: 600000 - JOH: 500000 - ELI: 400000 - MIK: 300000 - ANT: 200000 loops: - JAN: 42 # optional: change the slides (you can omit all the following) slide_player: _overwrite: True high_score_enter_initials: high_score_enter_initials high_score_award_display: high_score_award_display slides: _overwrite: True high_score_enter_initials: - type: text style: tall_title font_size: 18 text: PLAYER (player_num) color: ffff00 x: 105 y: 90 - type: text style: tall_title font_size: 18 text: (award) color: f0f0f0 x: 105 y: 70 - type: text_input initial_char: A dynamic_x: false key: high_score style: tall_title font_size: 18 max_chars: 3 x: 105 y: 20 shift_left_event: sw_lower_left_flipper shift_right_event: sw_lower_right_flipper select_event: sw_start color: ff0000 - type: text style: tall_title text: '< >' font_size: 18 x: 105 y: 20 color: ff0000 - type: text text: '' key: high_score font_size: 18 style: tall_title x: 105 y: 50 color: ff00ff animations: show_slide: - property: opacity value: 1 duration: 0.3s easing: in_out_quint - property: opacity value: 0 duration: 0.3s repeat: true easing: in_out_quint high_score_award_display: - type: text text: (player_name) font_size: 18 style: tall_title anchor_y: middle anchor_x: middle x: middle y: middle color: 00ff00 animations: show_slide: - property: opacity value: 1 duration: 0.05s - property: opacity value: 0 duration: 0.05s repeat: true - type: text text: (award) font_size: 18 style: tall_title x: 105 y: 110 color: 0000ff - type: text text: (value) style: tall_title x: 105 y: 30 color: 4040FF font_size: 20 number_grouping: true min_digits: 2
High score mode will also create a few machine variables for you:
- (high_score_category)(position)_label -
score1_label= GRAND CHAMPION
- (high_score_category)(position)_name -
- (high_score_category)(position)_value -
In this case this will be
Additionally, there will be
loop1_name. You can use those in your attract slides to show previous high
|Related How To Guides|
|How to design a game in MPF using Modes|