This is the dev documentation for an unreleased version of MPF!
This is the documentation for MPF 0.55+, which is the “dev” (next) release of MPF that is a work-in-progress. Unless you’re specifically looking for this version, you probably want to use the version of documentation called “latest” which is for the latest released version of MPF. That documentation is at docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest.
Glossary of MPF terms¶
Here’s a list of terms you might come across in MPF. Note that this is not an exhaustive list of everything, rather, these are terms we use in MPF that might not be obvious.
- A logical target which holds slides. Displays are abstract–purely logical. You use the machine config to map logical displays to the physical on-screen window or a DMD.
- machine folder
- The folder which holds your machine config files.
- player variable
- A named value that is stored on a per-player basis, such as the current ball number or score.
- watch dog
- A feature of a hardware control system that ensures you don’t blow anything up if MPF crashes. Essentially it’s a timer which runs on the hardware (typically set to a short amount of time, like 1 second) that has to be “pinged” by MPF constantly to reset the timer. If the timer runs out before its pinged, then the hardware system will shut off all power to its devices. In normal operation, MPF pings the watchdog constantly, but if MPF crashes or shuts down ungracefully, then the watchdog pings stop, the hardware timer expires, and the hardware controller shuts off all the power to the connected devices.
- A thing that is put on a display. There are different types of widgets, such as text, images, videos, shapes, etc.